We strive to be a family of God pleasers

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Order Up!

Today we have officially committed. No turning back. The chicks have been ordered, reserved, and paid for. Jeff said I could get 10... I ordered 12... Jeff doesn't know this yet... Please pray for me :)

In my defense, it turns out th
at some breeds are very hard to determine the sex, they are called straight runs. Unfortunately 6 of the 12 chicks that I ordered are straight runs. So there is the possibility that I could be receiving 6 hens and 6 roosters. AND we won't know it until they start crowing at 8 weeks... ish.
Aren't we lucky? You may be se
eing some craigslist postings for roosters come June.
This is why I internally justified ordering12. I couldn't help it. I know this also means that I could be receiving 12 hens, but the odds are not too high.


So, I thought that m
aybe you would all be just as enthusiastic to see what kind of breeds I ordered as I was to order them. So, of the 12, only 3 have names at this point. We are still working on that. I might wait to see what kind of personalities they have. Nonetheless... in order of arrival...

March 30th
2 Golden Campines











April 6th
1 Brown Leghorn





Noted as a prolific layer. I am thinking the name "Omelet" may suffice here.









1 Silver Wyandotte














1 White Crested Black Polish




She, if it is a she, will have the name "Lady Gaga", per Jeff. I thought it was a stroke of pure brilliance. Safe to say I am gaga over this one.





April 13th
1 Buff Orpington












2 Black Australorps

















1 White Australorp














April 20th
1 Rhode Island Red











1 Barred Plymouth Rock














1 Araucana















All pictures have been borrowed from the internet, with the majority coming from www.backyardchickens.com. A wonderful website, if I don't say so myself.

Stay tunes for when we will have our very own pictures. I am sure they will be much cuter than these, coming from a mother.... hen.

2 comments:

  1. "Jeff said I could get 10... I ordered 12"
    Best line ever, I love it. Thats how I work too.

    Cant wait to meet Lady Gaga, such a perfect fitting name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Kate! You are amazing... I am going crazy just looking at all of those hens. :-) Can't wait to hear more about this adventure.

    ReplyDelete